Dining hall with a hand fountain
The Old Abbey was built between 1617 and 1618. It housed a spacious hall, which the monks used as a refectory, or dining hall. This is where the permanent exhibition on the monastery's history is now housed. The rooms original purpose can still be seen in the beautifully sculpted hand fountain attached to the wall, built in 1697 by Matthäus Fritsch. The fountain is crowned by the Schöntal coat of arms, at the center of which is a club, the coat of arms of Abbot Benedikt Knittel who commissioned this fountain for washing hands.